Translate

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Little things that Matter in Sales!!

The Little things that Matter in Sales!! 

Many times in sales and in life in general it’s the little things that matter. The little things that make or break a sale, that make you win or lose a bigger order or simply a re-order.
I have recently needed to purchase a wireless presenter, so I made my usual Google research and decided to buy from a specific company. The only issue I had to clear was the delivery of the item. It was only available in stores out of town and I needed it by the next day afternoon. 

So Monday morning I called the nearby electronic store and asked for the specific model and since I already knew it was out of stock, I asked if it could be delivered the next day afternoon to pick it up (when you live in Cyprus distance from one city to the next is a matter of one and a half hour max).


Surprisingly the lady on the other end of the phone said immediately it was impossible (her specific words) to have it by Tuesday afternoon. When I asked if something else was available she passed me on to another sales person on the store that could assist me. The rep told me that indeed it was impossible to have that model but another one was available. Since I was in a hurry I immediately went at the store and saw the other option. I finally purchased the available model which by the way was 10 euros less than the one I had in mind.

I left from the store half satisfied. It wasn't an issue of money after all. A lot of people including me, when having a specific need, a small difference in price play no significant role. For businesses to loose even 1 euro extra from each customer can be of great importance on their balance sheet at the end of the year. It is very clear for me from the first moment that this firm has no clear understanding of this.
Since the product was in stock I could have be given the option to have it delivered by courier the same day and pay a couple of euros extra. It would have been fine with me, since my need would be satisfied.

So keep this example in mind at all times and check the status of your way of fulfilling a need while making money at the same time. It’s the little things that can make the extra money you need at the end of each month. It’s the little things such offering options that are both feasible and practical that show a customer you care and can help them when in need. After all we all need loyal, returning customers!!      

No comments:

Post a Comment